[pct-l] Cooking Within concerns

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Dec 8 13:41:45 CST 2009

OK, let's review the concerns, here.

Carbon Monoxide
Flare Ups
Lack of attention to stove

Regarding CO, open the doors and windows or cook in your vestibule. Solves the problem of trapped CO in the tent, thus insufficient oxygen and subsequent fears of death.

Flare ups with the Svea were common, but with practice and attention, with fingers on the control valve and awareness of exactly how much fuel was trickling into the "Spirit Cup," the possibility was minimized. Occasionally, if the fuel poured out too fast and I didn't shut it down right away, the spirit cup would fill and run out over the tank. All I had to do, upon paying attention to this, was to move the stove to the center of the tent, where the ceiling was 4 or 5 feet tall, before lighting the Cup and beginning the priming. If the flames were high, I blocked them with my pot lid for the brief time it did so. No danger of tent melt-down, ever.

The new Jet Boils never have this problem as they are not white gas and do not need priming. Alcohol stoves, however, do have fuel spill dangers and have started fires, some of just the picnic table where they sat (photo if you want it) and others of the entire Forest. Alcohol stoves are highly dangerous in this regard and should never be used in, on, or near any flammable surface. This is an area there gram-counting can kill you and others.

If you start your stove and don't pay attention to what may catch on fire around it, you are a danger to yourself and others. Learn how to use your stove, how to control it, how it works, at home and in the field before you rely on it for all your hot meals. Primarily, you need to know how to regulate the flame. If it goes south, you need to be able to shut it down, now.

Mtnned