[pct-l] Burying vs Packing Out TP

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Tue Dec 8 14:31:12 CST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Sean Nordeen wrote:

>>> I don't think I've ever heard that burying TP was prohibited except in some areas where burying *waste* is also prohibited. I believe you >>are required to pack out your waste in the Whitney Zone for example.
>
> Since I know their websites well, here are some links where it says burrying is not allowed in these places:
>
> SEKI http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/2009%20Minimum%20Impact%20Regulations-5.pdf
> Yosemite http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lnt.htm
> San Gorgonio Wilderness (San Bernardino NF) http://www.sgwa.org/impact.htm

The SEKI link certainly looks like a regulation but the other links are just basic 'leave no trace' guidelines.  I'm wasn't doubting the wisdom of packing out or that there were some areas where it was officially regulated. I just hadn't previously heard that it was required in areas that the PCT traversed (other than Whitney, which I think is a recent change).