[pct-l] Burying vs. Packing out

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Tue Dec 8 15:26:42 CST 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:07 PM, JIM BANKS wrote:

> As to the discussion about burying versus packing out toilet paper as it applies in the San Gorgonio Wilderness area - the PCT does not enter the San Gorgonio Wilderness area located in the San Bernardino National Forest.  The PCT goes through the portion of the San Gorgonio Wilderness area administered by the BLM.  BLM wilderness areas have different rules.

The actual order applies to all wilderness areas in the San Bernardino National Forest.  I don't know enough about the boundaries to say if the PCT enters such areas.

<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/about/forder3.shtml>

Also prohibited by that order:

> 2. Short cutting a switchback. 36 CFR 261.55(d)

Cut off a switchback and you might be out $5000 and be spending 6 months in jail!

This one was interesting:

> 	• Entering or being on any Wilderness or Primitive Area for the purpose of conducting or participating in contests, such as physical or mental endurance of a man or animal; competitive running; canoe or boat races; or competitive activities of this nature. 36 CFR 261.57 (a).

So I wonder if PCT speed records are technically 'contests' that are prohibited?