[pct-l] Burying vs Packing Out TP

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue Dec 8 17:03:11 CST 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 11:37:40 Sean Nordeen wrote:
> On another forum, some of us got into an arguement over burying your TP
> verses packing it out on the PCT.  My own experience was that many packed
> it out (and some don't use TP at all).  But some of the others claimed that
> they know of no one who didn't bury theirs while hiking the PCT (obviously
> we hiked with different kinds of people and didn't hike with each other).
>
> However, I know that in some places on the trail, it is illegal to bury
> your TP. Yosemite, SEKI, and the San Gorgonio WIlderness in the San
> Bernardino NF immediately come to my mind since I backpack there often.
> Where else are you not allowed to bury?  There are alot of agencies and
> wilderness areas, so its a pain to go through all of them, but I figured
> people here should know their own local areas.

Whether it is legal or not, the correct thing to do is to pack out your TP.
Burning TP might sound good, but more than one forest fire has started that
way. Buried TP has a way of being dug up by critters.

A thruhiker may never pass this way again, but there are many people who use
the PCT regularly on their mountain visits, and a field of TP is sort of
disgusting.

Yes, this will add ounces to your pack weight...

LNT
Gary