[pct-l] Remember When

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Dec 8 19:20:57 CST 2009

On June 22, 1976 at 1:35 in the afternoon, on my first day ever on the PCT,
I captured an iconic moment of PCT history on film, a  photo of Teddi Boston
on Lower Devils Peak, above Seiad Valley. PCT history knows her best as the
first woman to solo thruhike the PCT, and she started on May 1 at Canada.
She hiked south on snow for weeks on end. Teddi is the first thruhiker I
ever met, and we are friends recently reunited. Today, I have many friends
that are thruhikers, my life is good. I often stop and "remember when", due
to my love of the PCT.
http://www.pcta.org/copper/thumbnails.php?album=14   PCTA historical
gallery, check it out..
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/72979840/original Teddi when I met her
in 1976! Her watch shows 1:35!!
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/96325402 Teddi and me again together 32
years later!!

~~~
"Did I ever tell the story of . . ."
How it took a year of planning to put together all of the details and
logistics for my 1977 hike. Scouring through the huge amount of materials;
the NGS book, the 1st edition guide book and USGS 1:500,000 maps. Yep, that
was all I had to reference. Wow, how times have changed.
Greg