[pct-l] Stove canisters

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:56:56 CST 2009

> Several hikers recounted the story of how it happened, which involved dry
> grass, wind and careless placement of a stove. It was a big deal for awhile
> in journals and on the list.

I can see that, but that wasn't because of the alcohol stove. It could
have been any stove. Bad placement of any stove gives the same results
in careless hands.

I've seen fires started by careful people using canister stoves, when
a gasket, valve leaked or whatever leaked.

You have to be pretty careless to start a fire with an alcohol stove
as the fuel isn't compressed and is less flammable than other types of
fuels. Most alcohol stove don't have valves, gaskets, hoses, ... that
can fail/leak, well most backpacking versions don't anyway.

I've never heard of an alcohol stove flaring up the way petro stoves
do, except one case where the person accidently used white gas in an
alcohol stove.

--
... when your feeling blue, and you've lost all your dreams, there's
nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!

http://kayakbrooklyn.blogspot.com