[pct-l] Getting into Canada

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Dec 9 21:12:22 CST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Austin Williams wrote:
> Going into Canada from the U.S. along the PCT is legal, if you have the
> permit.  Has anyone ever been denied the permit?  Ever?  If you have or know
> of anyone who has, please let me know.  I suspect the criteria for getting
> that permit are much more lax than normally entering Canada for vacation.

There have been numerous reports on this list of hikers being denied permits.  Most often the reason has been a DUI/DWI or some other arrest record.  I'm sure there are probably folks who didn't even bother with the process because they knew what was in their background and they probably didn't share with the list either. :-)  Just recently there was a post about several groups of hikers touching the border and then turning around due to permit/entry concerns during last year's thru-hike season.

Gary Wright (Radar)