[pct-l] Stove canisters

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 10 07:40:23 CST 2009

Good morning,

I agree – mostly – with Postholer regarding the usefulness of solid-fuel
stoves.  One of my differences in opinion is regarding the fuel type:  I’ve
used most of the fuels commonly available but I prefer the Army surplus
trioxane fuel tabs.  Ounce-for-ounce they have the same energy as Esbit, but
trioxane leaves the bottom of the pot very clean rather than coated with
black gunk.  Trioxane is readily available from surplus outlets, and it
costs about 25% of what Esbit costs.  Some hikers don’t like trioxane
because the fumes are said to be “toxic”, however I won’t breath the fumes
from any fuel.  They are all “toxic” as far as I'm concerned.  Besides, I
cook in the open air rather than in a tent.

My solid fuel stove doesn’t weigh 3.25 oz. it weighs between 0.2 and 0.7
ounces.  That’s because I use the same stove for solid fuel as I do for
alcohol.  I just turn the cat food or pop can alcohol stove over and put the
fuel tab on its bottom.  Everything else is the same.  That way I can use
solid fuel or alcohol interchangeably. If you want to be even lighter, use
three tent stakes to support the pot, and put the fuel tab on a small metal
lid on mineral soil.  See http://zenstoves.net/SolidFuelBurner.htm for an
interesting discussion of solid fuel and stoves.

I won’t disparage any type of fuel.  I have used – and probably will again
use – most of what's available, including a campfire.  As always, it’s not
the “thing” that’s the problem, it’s the care and responsibility of the
people using the “thing” that’s important.  The S. Cal. deserts were very
dry during my last two PCT hikes, and I chose to not cook rather than risk
touching a flame to any fuel.  That was my personal choice, and it worked
out OK because I adapt well to no-cook food.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09