[pct-l] Stove canisters

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Dec 10 10:49:55 CST 2009

Nope.  CO will always be present, particularly in the exhaust
from relatively primitive heat machines like hikers' stoves.  CO is not
really a big problem because hikers don't sit immediately down-wind and
inhale the fumes, and -- if they are smart -- they use the stove only in an
open, well ventilated area where the CO can readily dissipate.

Steel-Eye

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Bastian Schlagowsky <
bastian.schlagowsky at web.de> wrote:

>  There should be no Carbon monoxide when your stove is working properly,
> just Carbon dioxide...
>

> --
> Bastian Schlagowsky
> +49 (176) 20646551
> Bastian.Schlagowsky at web.de
>
> Am 10.12.2009 um 15:06 schrieb CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net>:
>
>    Carbon monoxide, for one.
>
> Steel-Eye
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Bastian Schlagowsky <
> bastian.schlagowsky at web.de> wrote:
>
>> I have never heard that burning alcohol is producing any toxic substance;
>> except maybe things added in heet...
>>
>> --
>> Bastian Schlagowsky
>> +49 (176) 20646551
>> Bastian.Schlagowsky at web.de
>>
>> Am 10.12.2009 um 14:40 schrieb CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net>:
>>

>> Good morning,
>>>
>>> I agree – mostly – with Postholer regarding the usefulness of solid-fuel
>>> stoves.  One of my differences in opinion is regarding the fuel type:
>>>  I’ve
>>> used most of the fuels commonly available but I prefer the Army surplus
>>> trioxane fuel tabs.  Ounce-for-ounce they have the same energy as Esbit,
>>> but
>>> trioxane leaves the bottom of the pot very clean rather than coated with
>>> black gunk.  Trioxane is readily available from surplus outlets, and it
>>> costs about 25% of what Esbit costs.  Some hikers don’t like trioxane
>>> because the fumes are said to be “toxic”, however I won’t breath the
>>> fumes
>>> from any fuel.  They are all “toxic” as far as I'm concerned.  Besides, I
>>> cook in the open air rather than in a tent.
>>>
>>> My solid fuel stove doesn’t weigh 3.25 oz. it weighs between 0.2 and 0.7
>>> ounces.  That’s because I use the same stove for solid fuel as I do for
>>> alcohol.  I just turn the cat food or pop can alcohol stove over and put