[pct-l] Post Fire Recons

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 10 22:23:42 CST 2009

a recon team or trail crew out on any kind of project, he would have said so
and represented his official status being in the closure. Instead of any
shred of substantiation for a reason to be there, he used the "evil twin
Jake who wanted to take a longish hike" line, a thinly veiled reference to
the fact that he knew he wasn't supposed to be there. I also checked to see
if "NHPS" was related to trails, trail crews, volunteers, etc., but could
make no connection.  Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for those
who work in, on, and for our wilderness and trails. But that's not what
"Elwood" claimed in any way, and thus my reaction.

You may find of interest a letter from the Angeles Forest Supervisor, Jody
Noiron, dated October of this year www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/ In it she
writes, "We have completed our assessment of the natural resources and
infrastructure damage resulting from the fire. We are not immediately
initiating repair and recovery projects at this time, for two reasons. One
reason is public safety, due to the extreme danger within the burned areas.
A second reason is that we anticipate further damages will occur in the
burned area from storms in the coming winter. From a practical standpoint,
it is premature to begin projects now that may be damaged or destroyed
during the storm season. For these reasons, it will likely be next spring
before we can really implement restoration projects."

L-Rod