[pct-l] Blisters and more.

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Dec 11 08:48:20 CST 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 2:16 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I am wondering how in the world can I better prepare or treat blisters
> before hand or while on the trail???

First, get much bigger shoes so your feet don't rub. I believe your
toes should not touch any part of the shoe, nor should they touch
each other. The shoes should be flexible enough that you don't get
heel blisters. They should move with your feet. They should be big
enough to accommodate layers of gauze and duct tape, too! And if you
do the two-sock method, they should be roomy enough for two socks.

Second, get shoes that are so airy and made of mesh that your feet
are completely black after a few hours of walking. Those puppies need
air.

Third, because even mesh shoes are not breathable enough, stop and
air out your feet from time-to-time. Once a day, once an hour.
Whatever works for you.

You might also try bringing along many different kinds of socks and
several different insoles and swapping them out each day or even
multiple times a day until you find what works best. Toe socks, socks
without toes, thin socks, thick socks, wool, synthetic etc. Same with
insoles. Try the expensive ones at the outfitter. Try the cheap ones
at the drugstore. Whatever works.

I think the reason this trail is so bad for blisters, aside from the
obvious heat at the beginning, is that the tread is so consistent.
It's a repetitive motion injury machine. 10 miles switchbacking only
on one side of a mountain with the trail leaning outward will ensure
you get blisters on one foot and probably knee problems, too.
Whatever you can do to break up the monotony helps.