[pct-l] Blisters and more.

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:05:55 CST 2009

I hiked about 1600 miles of the PCT in 08' and I never got a single
blister.  Not even any hot spots really.  I carried three pairs of synthetic
wool socks at all times.  I'd change socks at lunch time (after letting my
feet air out for about 10 mins).  I also let my feet dry/air out at night
before going to sleep.  Every resupply box had a fresh pair of wool socks.
I'd throw out the oldest, nastiest looking pair of socks I had and replace
them with these new ones.

Also, in every resupply box that had a pair of shoes in it, I would also
have 3 fresh pairs of socks.  That way, when I got new shoes, I could throw
out all my old nasty socks and start afresh with new shoes and socks.  My
feet were really happy on those days.

I think the biggest reason that I didn't get blisters is because I wore
running shoes (as opposed to boots or trail shoes).  I bought all my shoes 1
size bigger than I normally wore at home.  Worked like a charm.

Also, I believe feet are more blister prone in the desert sections.  So if
you get blisters there, don't give up!  It doesn't mean that the whole trail
will be that way.

Good luck, and may you have happy feet!