[pct-l] PCT Barefoot

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 11 19:08:12 CST 2009

Oh come on Ned, let's meet up on Muir Pass and see how he's doin when he comes thru...and if he aint wearin shoes by then...???   Nothing like dry cracked feet to make wakin up in the wee hours an exciting thing.  Ever burned your feet on hot ground?  I have a few times after surfing in the summers.  Tales a few days to enjoy walking again.  And nothing like barefeet on icy snow, or better yet, the challenge level on big sun cups goes way up on skins.  Don't really need gaitors either.  And hopefully our barefoot enthusiast wont have an allergic reaction to all the mule crap ground into all the trail dirt.  Seen it on sensitive folk.  But lets's not be hasty in suggesting our man is "Crazy".  Lots of folks get around pretty well barefooted.  Don't know that they are dealing with crushed rock hammered out on the trail in certain areas by trail crew.  Granted, most of this will be under snow in June, but some of it will have to be walked on.  THe north sides of Glen and Mather Passes come imediately to mind, but there are others rough sections I'm sure in 2500 miles.  But hey, there just feet.  You can always walk on your hands right?