[pct-l] PCT Barefoot

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 12 01:31:37 CST 2009

No one said they wanted to stop you from achieving your goals.  I haven't heard anything about you shouldn't try yet either.  Have you been along any of the trail in question?  Most of it's hum-de-dum, but there are more challenging aspects and rough sections along the way.  Have you ever been out in the sun cups when they are knee deep?  We don't know yet, nor will we for some time, what the snow pack will be, nor will we know how whatever snow pack there is will melt off.  Could be a mild easy year, and then again it might be a late season.  All you can do is get your feet strengthened and toughened up as best you can and you should be able to do much of the trail, but I doubt all of it.  But I'd like to see you get it if you can.  You'll not be knowing unless you try.  But the red flag went up, and thus my comments because it sounds like you haven't even had a season or a chance to try this much, if at all.  And that brings up the point that there seems to be a lot of folks who seem to think they should be able to hike the PCT just because it's there.  Even the JMT is effected by this and I meet people bailing out all the time and it's only a day over two hundred miles.  My favorite, and not so much the rangers, are the folks who were going out adventure running trying to complete some of the popular fifty mile loop hikes in the Sierra with a light lunch and a couple power bars totally unprepared for what looked to be pretty flat on a map.  What are those squigly lines anyway?  I been reading stories and talking to folks for years.  I even met a guy hiking bare footed in Evolution Valley once, but he was carrying his new Macalu Boots and his heals were bloodied.  So think what you want, but the turkeys want you to have an enjoyable summer in our beloved backcountry and have a good time, the trip of your life, and not have it turn into a negative experience, which if you ask Diane, is entirely possible.  And your well being in mind and body will undoubtedly relate proportionately to how well your feet are holding up, especially during the first couple weeks of the journey which is when most reports of problems seem to arise.  But me, I'd say screw those turkeys. I'll show them, and I wont have to wash socks !