[pct-l] Halfmiles maps and other recourses

Ryan S. Bozzell RBozzell at vailresorts.com
Sat Dec 12 10:25:45 CST 2009

Hey,

I just wanted to send out a thanks to Halfmile for getting us the PCT maps. I hiked last year and it seemed to me based on mine and other hikers experience, the best combination was the databook, halfmile's maps, yogi's town guide, and the water report. It was interesting to see how many people threw out the "official guide books" because they were pretty much useless. If you want a free set of these books you could just wait until the big group of hikers came through the first few town stops and check out the hiker boxes there. The people with the PCT Atlas seemed to be somewhat pleased, but much of the data didn't match the other recourses i.e. the water report and the data book. The price of the Atlas is a little rough as well. I think the three esientals for the hike are milage data, water data, and topo maps. The PCT Atlas dose put this together in one light weight expensive resource except for the current water conditions, and for some reason the data in the atlas and the water report milage don't match. The "official guides" just give way to much turn by turn detail and is confusing to most, not to mention the fact that the small black and white maps are difficult to see and use. Halfmiles maps are in color and can be referenced to the databook, water report, yogi's guide, and are 100% free except for printing cost of course.

So thank you Halfmile for completing the maps.

Any other takes on this subject I would be interested to hear.

Happy Trails