[pct-l] 100 good miles to hike in March?

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:58:46 CST 2009

Jean,
Good fortune and careful planning resulted in a friend dropping me off at
the southern terminus this year on March 11 at sundown.  Snow blanketed the
San Jacinto Mts, but the desert forecast for about 10 days out predicted
nice weather.  And it was exactly that:  cool and overcast until the ridge
past Lake Morena; clear, blue skies (and not cold) thru the Laguna Mts;
gorgeous weather over to Barrel Springs; and unseasonably warm by the time I
arrived at Warner Springs -- 80's.  The weather was always on my mind.  When
I left Warner Springs, I left with a snow prediction for snow as low as
4,000 feet; Gottago also provided me with some up-to-date snow conditions in
the San Jacinto Mts.  So I followed an exit plan and left the trail above
Terwilliger.  My good fortune continued:  by chance I met, visited,  and
lunched with two ex-trail angles:  Bear and Ziggy.  Too bad circumstances
required them to exit from performing their legendary and wonderful magic.
Be safe and go for it; I'm envious already!
Barney