[pct-l] 100 good miles to hike in March

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Mon Dec 14 11:15:10 CST 2009

Jean,

Section A is a fine place to hike in March.  Snow is uncommon anywhere in
Section A in March (rain is common, however). As others have said, there can
be severe snowstorms in the Lagunas, and this is a risk to think about.  But
it only takes a day to go through the higher elevations where these storms
can be a major problem, and you are always a short hike (half-mile or less)
from a paved and well-traveled road.  In fact, easy bailout exits to a road
are close at hand throughout Section A.  If you want to play the odds, bet
on hiking in tee-shirt and shorts for most of the way.  Just be careful to
take what you need for cold nights and the possibility of rain and some
snow.  You can always bail out if it gets too bad.

Tom Bache
San Diego