[pct-l] MUD FLOWS IN anf

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Dec 14 12:48:33 CST 2009

Part of the problem is there has been no way to get information on Angeles
Forest Highway conditions, especially if you're approaching from the "front
side" of the San Gabriels. There is one of those big electric warning signs
if you're approaching from Pearblossom Highway on the north flank of the
mountains to access Angeles Forest Highway, which is (surprisingly) a major
commuter route between the Antelope Valley and LA areas.  I used to commute
this route myself, and was very frustrated by the lack of information
available on road conditions on the Angeles Forest Highway.  For some reason
it has not been covered by CalTrans or other highway road conditions sites
and sources. While it's true that Angeles CREST Highway closes with the snow
each year, the same is not true of Angeles FOREST Highway. It's also very
easy to distrust the weather reports because they are so unreliable.

In defense of those who were up there, I've also been caught in storms (one
snow storm, one wind storm) while I was commuting through. You simply could
not estimate how bad the conditions would be up higher, and it was too late
once you were there.  It was extremely easy to bumble into the mess,
thinking officials would close the highway if it was dangerous. Both times
they closed the highway behind me, and I felt lucky to get through.  Always
grateful for my Subaru.

Coincidentally and very timely, here is the content of an article than ran
in the December 5 edition of our weekly local paper, "The Country Journal"
highlighting the problem of poor information about the mountain highways for
the communities who routinely use them (sorry, there's no link to it):

"SUPERVISOR ANTONOVICH LAUNCHES PUBLIC INFORMATION EFFORT ON ROAD CONDITIONS
AND CLOSURES OF ANGELES FOREST HIGHWAY

LOS ANGELES COUNTY - The Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a motion
by Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich to direct the Department of Public Works
to conduct a media and public outreach campaign to ensure the public is
alerted in advance of any possible closures of Angeles Crest Highway (SR-2)
and the Angeles Forest Highway due to weather or repair work.
Supervisor Antonovich's motion includes the following recommendations:
. Organize a town hall meeting in the Antelope Valley in December (and
publicize the meeting information in advance in the local media) to address
the repair work on Angeles Forest Highway associated with the Station Fire,
and publicize the meeting in advance in concert with Antelope Valley media
outlets:
. Keep  the existing "Driver Notification Signs" in place on south-bound
State Route 14, and activate tem as far in advance as possible to alert
motorists to impending temporary closures due to anticipated inclement
weather;
. Identify the feasibility of creating a "Road Conditions" AM radio
broadcast for information pertaining to the opening and closing of Angeles
Forest and Angeles Crest Highways between Antelope Valley and La
Canada-Flintridge;
. Establish an e-mail alert notification system that will alert Antelope
Valley residents (and other interested parties) concerning upcoming closures
of Angeles Forest Highway due to anticipated inclement weather;
. Conduct additional media and public outreach concerning road condition
information available on the Department's CARE web-site' and
. Report back to the Board in 30 days concerning progress on these issues."

L-Rod