[pct-l] GPS on the PCT

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Tue Dec 15 17:00:19 CST 2009

Austin Williams wrote:

<snip>

So I'll be bringing a GPS next time. I'm just asking around for people's
opinions on which set of GPS waypoints they like best. I imagine there are
several sets out there. Anyone have any favorites?

<snip>

Hi Austin and the list,

As somebody else mentioned (and I wholeheartedly agree), halfmile's waypoints are perfect. I converted them to POI's and was able to upload the entire trail to my Garmin 60Csx. I had a nice little dot every half mile. When we were puzzled which way to go, walking over or detouring around snow, all we had to do was check that we were getting closer to the next dot. Maybe we weren't *exactly* on the trail every step of the way, but we never really *lost* the trail either.

Disclaimer: We only made 800 miles but it had nothing to do with the GPS, or navigation in general.

You can find halfmile's waypoints here:

http://www.pctmap.net/index.html

He has also created printable pdf topo maps of the entire trail if you need a good set of maps.

Snowplow & Rubber Legs
PCT 09