[pct-l] Halfmiles maps and other recourses (or "Why I prefer the PCT Atlas")

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:34:04 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM, <enyapjr at comcast.net> wrote:

> > ...the elevation charts (PCT Atlas) are just as misleading as what you might infer from the DB.  ...flat-as-a-pancake for several miles...  (Len)
>
> Maybe if there were fold out pages with expanded elevation coverage, the so-called PUDs would show up much better - but if you look closely at the topo maps, one can see there
> would be 'some' ups and downs...  But then the Atlas would no longer be as compact and light, either...

The data book, and hence the Atlas, has highly varying distances
between landmarks.  The wider the distance the more frequent the
misrepresentation of elevation change between landmarks.  I think that
the current format can easily accommodate consistently accurate
profiles.  This can be accomplished by sampling the topo line
elevations that the trail crosses, and forgetting about the
randomly-spaced numbers in the data book.  I wondered why this wasn't
done in the current version - Erik says he has software to do that
now, and will use that for the next revision (which is not scheduled
until 2012).

> At that point in CA, and still being in CA, anxious to get to a 'new', different state - I'll probably complain too! (even though that's my old home 'turf'!!)   ;-)

I offered one example.  It had nothing to do with where it was positioned.

> > Landmark mileages (Atlas) don't match the official either.  The variance starts out small...(goes) up to 4.5 miles...shrinks to a .2 variance...then starts expanding again...
> > This made it a real PITA matching water and other comments in the Yogi book to the Atlas.
>
> True - but I've done my 'homework' already - ahead of time...  I've compared the various reports and books, and will make notes in the Atlas 'IF' needed...
> As insinuated before, a landmark (including water sources) is still the same landmark to be found on a map - no matter what mileage value you want to call it...
> I have used Google Earth with the USFS PCT traces to 'placemark' water sources and important landmarks, and added 'paths' for the obvious reroutes not shown on the latest trace
> and some possible/probable/definite alternate routes I'll take - in effect, I have memorized much of the trail by repeatedly seeing it in Google Earth as I have added these notations...

Your preparation is impressive.  But I don't see what your comments
have to do with mine.

All I was trying to do is point out that the conflicts between the
data book mileages (used by Yogi) and the Atlas mileages may be an
ongoing source of confusion, at least to a pea brain like me.  If you
don't use the Yogi book, problem solved.

> > ...the Atlas defines sections differently from the official.
>
> There's that "official" again...

I should have said 'Wilderness Press guide books and data book'  or
'currently in use' .

> "You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."  - Mahatma Gandhi

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" - Karl Marx