[pct-l] PCT Maps/Data Sources (long winded thoughts)

Postholer public at postholer.com
Tue Dec 15 22:37:54 CST 2009

On occasion over the last couple years, I've found myself up to my neck in
map related features for the postholer site. For what it's worth, here are
some thoughts on the subject.

Map Data Sources
WP Guidebooks, Tom Harrison, HikerTrash, Halfmile and Erik's maps have one
major thing in common: the trail data is collected/maintained due to a
herculean effort by one individual. By nature of this method the trail data
is doomed to be obsolete without continued vigilence. I think of Ben
Schifrin and what a huge asset he has been to Wilderness Press.

One exception exists, that is the USFS data which is publicly available. My
understanding is that each year GIS crews are out collecting data here and
there constantly updating the data. The effort of many from a large,
constant resource. Not only is this an 'official' (there's that word)
source, it is constant. That is why the postholer maps are based solely on
this data and will continue to be.

Which Resource
With Ben Go's data book and the WP Guidebooks you are good to go hiking.
Thousands before you have used these successfully. Plus you get an extensive
natural history of the trail which all other sources sorely lack.

For something different but not time tested by thousands of hikers, for the
cost of a printer cartridge you can print out Halfmile's excellent maps, add
$10 for Ben Go's data book and you're good to go. You may or may not want to
stake the success of your hike on this setup.

And for all you thru-wallet saps who think the quality of maps is
proportional to the price-tag, you've got Erik's PCT Atlas. I just shake my
head when I think of someone dropping $200 on a set of maps for the PCT.
This kind of cash is COMPLETELY unnecessary. The anxiety of planning cannot
be overcome with cash. Do yourself a favor, don't be a thru-wallet.

The Future of PCT Maps
Personally, with bias, I'd like to see Wilderness Press update their aging
map set and the format. I know some view the 'verbosity' as overwhelming or
unncessary and during your hike, it can be. But it's also a wealth of
information no one else can touch. With a little strategic formatting, they
could have the best of both worlds. I'd expect they would maintain the same
reasonable pricing we've come to expect from this fantastic resource.

Going forward I bet on the continuing success of Wilderness Press
Guidebooks. I would gladly contribute my time to see this institution of
guidebooks continue to grow its legacy for generations of hikers to come.

-postholer

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php