[pct-l] Not treating water on the PCT

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Wed Dec 16 14:26:40 CST 2009

Well, for one thing, while Scott Williamson does not treat his water, he has caught giardia several times over the years and just hiked through it.  For him, its a tradeoff that he is willing to accept.  This year, I hiked with a guy who caught Giardia twice (Northern Sierra and northern Oregon) as he mostly didn't treat his water.  I hiked with a woman who told me she had gotten Giardia in the High Sierra where people are least likely to treat their water.

I personally didn't catch anything, but I treated everywhere with the exception of being near the top of the high passes in the Sierras.  My main method of treatment was using a half dose of Aqua Mira with at least twice the waiting time.  I personally think SoCal and NoCal are the most dangerous areas due to all the Cattle grazing across the trail.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen