[pct-l] There is water, and there is slimey sludge from tanks and from seeps we drink.

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Dec 16 19:16:35 CST 2009

The subject of treating water is really quite complicated.

The focus of the discussion so far has been on Giardia, but the most
graphic examples have to do with cows upstream and dead things in
water tanks, and the skanky water likely to be found in So-Cal.

First off, a typical light weight Giardia Filter will NOT remove the
bacteria from decaying dead rodents that can make you sick. You need a
finer filter that is heavier and more likely to clog. However,
chemical treatments will kill the bacteria.

Second, cows contaminate the water with all sorts of things, but
though Giardia does infect cows, only 1 of the 6 known species of
Giardia infects both cows and humans. If you have cows upstream, and
you are paranoid, best to use a filter rated for bacteria, not just
for Giardia.

Third, yes, though I don't generally treat backcountry water, a whole
bunch of the PCT in So-Cal is FAR from pristine, so Yes, I do treat
water there, usually with chemicals because I'm still not worried
about Giardia, I'm worried about the other nasties.

And remember that you need to let your water sit with the chemicals in
it for at LEAST half an hour. Even for Aqua Mira.