[pct-l] Cleaning Down

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 16 23:13:28 CST 2009

Definately read the tag.  Front loader commercial washer and a lot of quarters is best for the bag.  I've done a couple in a home washer but they get caddy-whompass on the spin so you have to pay attention.  Kinda hard on the bag too with the center spindle of a top loader, but it works in a pinch.  For me it depends on the quality and age of the bag.  Newer high quality bag goes to the commercial laundromat.  As for drying, get a tube of tennis balls to throw in, all three.  We use to use a couple old tennis shoes back in the day, and that actually works very good at fluffing the down.
My most recent experience was with my REI Sub-kilo and it washed nice and clean and fluffed back up almost like new using REI's down wash.  A good product in my opinion as I used it a few times before.  I just did my -5 degree Goreloft covered winter bag, which is ten years old or thereabouts and was not very happy with the results using Nikwax downwash and using the home system.  I can't say for sure if it was the Nikwax just didn't work very good, or the bag was juist too far gone to bring it back to good quality, but it isn't the same bag it used to be.  I had a heck of a time getting it fluffed as it is really packed with 650 down.   It's a heavy bag.  I used it in weather into the teens everynight and it worked OK but about ready for a new one I think.
My ten year old Moonstone down jacket however came out pretty OK.  But again, this washing also led me to believe the Nikwax just doesn't get the down clean like the REI product did.  I'm trying another product if I can't get the REI wash anymore.