[pct-l] PCT Maps/Data Sources (long winded thoughts)

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 17 15:53:35 CST 2009

> Map Data Sources
> WP Guidebooks, Tom Harrison, HikerTrash, Halfmile and Erik's maps have one
> major thing in common: the trail data is collected/maintained due to a
> herculean effort by one individual. By nature of this method the trail data
> is doomed to be obsolete without continued vigilence. ...
>
> One exception exists, that is the USFS data which is publicly available. My
> understanding is that each year GIS crews are out collecting data here and
> there constantly updating the data. The effort of many from a large,
> constant resource. Not only is this an 'official' (there's that word)
> source, it is constant. That is why the postholer maps are based solely on
> this data and will continue to be.

Don't know about the "each year","many", or "constantly updating" - I think the
USFS have also been hit by the economy and are having budget problems...
(That might also be why only one additional map of the ten-map PCT series was
released in '09, while 3 were released in '08 - now 8 of the 10 are available...)
The first PCT trace I downloaded was a 2005 version, which had obvious 'errors'
(not showing the Spanish Needle Creek routing off the Owens Peak crest stuck out
like a sore thumb) until the successive (2008) version was released...
There were no obvious changes in the trail trace itself from '08 to the '09 (latest)
version except breaking down the trail into 1501 segments and adding land status info
- which was a very important update, but unfortunately the segments are not in a
geographical sequence, but rather the segment locations are highly random (would be
nice if they  fixed that in 2010 - ??)...
The trail trace is still 'off' in many areas, not showing obvious reroutes that have
been done for a few years...
Compare the USFS trace to Halfmile's or Erik's maps and you can easily spot the 'major'
changes...  The latest USFS trace version is labeled 2009, but I really wonder when
that trail trace data was actually collected...
Yes, you can say it's the "official" route since the USFS is the managing agency - but
without appropriate surveys & updates it can also be inaccurate in some areas (but I
also use it as my base reference)

> Which Resource
> With Ben Go's data book and the WP Guidebooks you are good to go hiking.
> Thousands before you have used these successfully. Plus you get an extensive
> natural history of the trail which all other sources sorely lack.
>
> For something different but not time tested by thousands of hikers, for the
> cost of a printer cartridge you can print out Halfmile's excellent maps, add
> $10 for Ben Go's data book and you're good to go. You may or may not want to
> stake the success of your hike on this setup.

First part true, but I don't need the natural history stuff - know 'enough' already...
All I need from the WP guides is the maps - but they are scattered throughout each volume.
The early editions of the WP guides had all the maps in the back - if WP would have left
it that way, one only needs to dismantle the very back portion of a book (that's what I did
when I hiked the Oregon Skyline Trail, then the 'designated' PCT, in the '70s from Lake of
the Woods to the Columbia - I only took the maps)...
I suggested to WP many times in the past either to change back or, better yet, publish a
separate 'maps only' book...  "Not enough demand for that", their emphasis changed over to
"better serve the weekend and vacation users" rather than the very small quantity of thrus...

One would probably need more than one printer cartridge to print out Halfmile's maps - there
372 total!!  Personally, I'd also use NG Adventure or iGage Waterproof paper - that would take
a minimum of 186 sheets if printed on both sides (you should probably at least use high quality
ink jet paper if printing with an ink jet printer!)...  Don't forget to budget enough time for
printing out those 372 pages, too - but it's 'doable'...

> And for all you thru-wallet saps who think the quality of maps is
> proportional to the price-tag, you've got Erik's PCT Atlas. I just shake my
> head when I think of someone dropping $200 on a set of maps for the PCT.
> This kind of cash is COMPLETELY unnecessary. The anxiety of planning cannot
> be overcome with cash. Do yourself a favor, don't be a thru-wallet.

I didn't drop $200 on a "set of maps", but rather an all-in-one 'package' that was 'on sale' for
the complete set...  No, they aren't "necessary" - but it serves MY PURPOSE and it saved me a ton
of my time making up my own 'guide' as I had planned on doing, or printing Halfmile's maps...
I put a value on my time when considering purchases of any kind - and since I don't have the option
or wish to drop my life-choice responsibilities, I will continue to dream and 'plan' for my future
PCT thru-hike...
There is no "anxiety of planning" (whatever you mean by that) whatsoever, at least in my case...
I collect anything and everything PCT anyway - like I've said before "I'm obsessed" with the PCT...
Guess I should have dug out my daughter's 20 year old Wal-Mart special 4 pound synthetic 'sleepover'
bag (might be about a 50 degree bag - when new!) instead of buying that 30 ounce Western Mountaineering
20 degree down bag a few years ago, too!  Oh - I forgot, that's 'different' because it's "necessary" gear...

> The Future of PCT Maps
> Personally, with bias, I'd like to see Wilderness Press update their aging
> map set and the format. I know some view the 'verbosity' as overwhelming or
> unncessary and during your hike, it can be. But it's also a wealth of
> information no one else can touch. With a little strategic formatting, they
> could have the best of both worlds. I'd expect they would maintain the same
> reasonable pricing we've come to expect from this fantastic resource.
>
> Going forward I bet on the continuing success of Wilderness Press
> Guidebooks. I would gladly contribute my time to see this institution of
> guidebooks continue to grow its legacy for generations of hikers to come.

I've already mentioned contacting WP previously - wasn't much interest shown in that respect...
We've also been hearing about 'new' editions coming out, but they keep hedging and delaying it seems...
I think WP "missed the boat" quite a while back - we'll have to "wait and see" if they change 'back'
or significantly improve their format in the future...
It would be a shame to 'waste' what a few hard working souls at WP did over the years since the first
PCT guide books came out in early '70s!!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"That so few now dare to be eccentric marks the chief danger of our time." - John Stuart Mill