[pct-l] Treating water on the PCT is a personal choice "choose wisely"

Brett Cosner brettcosner at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 18:20:57 CST 2009

This is one of those "hike your own hike" issues that people will tell you with authority which path to take.  Ultimately the decision is yours and if you choose to treat your water there will be critics just as if you choose to not treat it.

The fact is that yes there are some bugs in the water, but not in all water sources.  I've both treated and not treated water and I have never gotten sick in the Sierras.  I've drank from lakes, rivers, streams, and springs.  I try to avoid stagnant water and water flowing slowly through meadows.  I have heard that the biggest source of bugs is poor hygiene not water sources.

I like to think of the line in the movie Indian Jones where the guardian of the Holy Grail told the seekers to "choose wisely" which cup to drink from.  One will give you eternal life the other will give you the shits!  So don't choose poorly.