[pct-l] what does 2 pounds mean

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Dec 19 17:09:12 CST 2009

I am not much of a planner, and doing all that math to figure out how
much food to eat would sprain my brain (although I appreciate the
thought that goes into it.)

What I did was start out with the food I needed at first. As I got
hungrier, I added more. Soon I knew that a little less than 2 king-
sized candy items each day was enough candy, a layer of pepperidge
farm cookies each day was about right, a one-pot meal with a bag of
gummy bears made for a nice dinner, a bowl of grapenuts and a few
heaping spoonfuls of powdered milk was about right, one packet of
instant pudding for the entire segment was a secret weapon against
those days when nothing quelled the hunger, etc.

Was it enough calories? How many calories was it? How much did it
weigh? I am pretty certain it wasn't anywhere near 7000 calories.
Maybe it was closer to 5000. I really don't know. I didn't weigh it,
and I only measured to know how many servings to bring. I walked into
town hungry, certainly, but after two town meals I was satisfied and
ready to hit the trail and start the madness over again.

If you're trying to plan your meals out far in advance, just pack the
meals you anticipate and add in extras as you go and your hunger
changes. Extra candy, cookies, crackers, peanut butter, etc. That
stuff you can buy almost anywhere. No need to ship it.