[pct-l] base pack weight

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Dec 20 20:56:36 CST 2009

Jim Bravo wrote:
> (1) I am assuming base weight is everything you have in the pack,
> including the pack, except food, water, and stove fuel. Is this
> correct?

Typically, yes.

> (2) Am I the only hiker with a 20+ pack,

In 2008, I met up with two hikers who were carrying substantially more
than 20 lbs of base weight. I think it took them something like 6 days
to get to Mount Laguna.

> 3) Are people accurately reporting their pack weights or is there
> some margin of error or BS involved?

Minor, perhaps. We report the weight of our packs, but often do not
include the weight of the clothes we wear, or the doodads stuffed in our
pockets. This may also include the weight of maps and guidebook
sections, sunscreen, or other items which some consider consumable.

> (4) I have a lot of backcountry experience, but not multi-month
> trips. I suspect I may be taking too much "what if this happens"
> stuff out of conscious and subconscious fear.

You probably are.

When I stayed with the Mann's prior to my 2008 attempt, they said that a
typical pack base weight was around 18 pounds. Mine was around 16
pounds. I was probably carrying a pound or two of excess "but I can't
hike without..." gear. I wasn't on the trail long enough to sort that
stuff out.

You will be a lot happier if you can trim your base down to 15 pounds or
less. You have to really know what you are doing to get down to 12
pounds or less, IMO.

 From what I understand, a lot of thrus will lower their pack weight by
tossing out gear that they realize they aren't using during the first
few weeks of the hike.