[pct-l] pack weight - warmth

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Mon Dec 21 12:49:09 CST 2009

> I don't do well in the cold, so all I can think of is how to stay
warm, which equals more weight. I do realize hiking itself will warm me up
some.
Any suggestions from those experienced would be greatly appriciated...

Hi Diane

This is something I've been researching, though I was fairly light & fairly
warm to begin with.  I think it's possible to be very warm and very light.
Here's a few key points;

A) First and foremost, warmth on the trail is about layering, and none of
your layers necessarily need to be large or heavy.

B) 800+ Goose down bag - warmth is about volume, not weight - but of course
there's a nice big price tag with a nice light down bag

C) clothing system is key, and there's a lot to consider.  This is what I've
been researching as I hadn't paid much attention to clothes in my previous
hikes.  Here's a good primer: http://promountainsports.com/clothing.shtml  -
Clothing can be quite light and quite effective if it's the right materials
and fit.

D) Glen at Gossamer Gear is on to something when he points out that
compressed down (underneath your body) provides no insulation.  I'm a fan of
quilts now rather than sleeping bags, optimize the weight where it makes a
difference up top and to the sides and save weight underneath.  Nunatak has
a couple pricy high quality options.  In 07 when hiking with a partner we
used an Exped WallCreeper unzipped as a quilt and with the exception of two
particularly sub-zero nights were very warm.  Incidentally, the gossamer
gear ultra-light sleeping bag didn't work well for me.  It was fine that it
had no down on the bottom, but when I'd turn over I'd turn the bag with me
and the bottom would become the side.

E) as was mentioned, a thin silk bag liner (or sheet) can make a huge warmth
difference for only a few ounces.

F) I found the Henry Shires' Rainbow tent actually trapped in a noticeable
bit of extra warmth.

Optimized clothing and sleeping systems can be very light and very
effective.  And of course, very costly.  ;-)

Cheers,
- P178