[pct-l] pack weight

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Dec 21 14:04:56 CST 2009

Hi Diane,
I'm the lady in the office who is wearing a down jacket, hat and
gloves and trying to sneak over and turn up the heat. The day I got
myself a zero degree sleeping bag I discovered that it really was
possible to sleep outside when it's 40 degrees.

The long hike, however, changed that greatly.

First of all, for me anyway, hiking the PCT was a hiking trip, not a
camping trip. No longer was I rolling into camp at 2 in the
afternoon, or even 5, and then sitting around feeling my metabolism
slow down. Then jumping into my sleeping bag as fast as I could so as
not to let the warmth of the fire wear off.

Instead, the PCT as hiking trip meant that as soon as I got my dinner
made, I ate it inside my tent and then promptly fell right asleep
with my metabolism still burning. Sure, sometimes I went to sleep at
7pm, but I was really tired. I also got up early, too.

I also learned a lot from Ray Jardine. Never sleep in a meadow or
creek canyon. Sleep mid-slope where it is warmer. He also said
whenever you stop walking, to put on your wind shirt before you cool
off. I did that, and it worked. He also said if it's too cold for you
to stop without getting chilled, then just keep moving. I did that,
too, and it really does work.

The other thing I did was eat a lot. I'm not a skinny rail like all
118lbs of Len. I'm from a nice, round, Swedish peasant stock. I ate
as much as I could, and sometimes even more. I pushed my metabolism
to the limit and maintained a nice layer of warmth.

I also tried to prime myself in advance by riding my Vespa around
with less warm layers than I was used to.

I actually ended up sending home things that would shock L-Rod. I got
tired of carrying warm layers that weren't used. I got by with layers
that would have me freezing to death in Santa Barbara. The hike
really charged my fires up, that's for sure.

Anyway, the Post Office is your friend. If you're not sure it's a
good idea to eliminate something from your pack, you can send it
ahead to the next town and if it was a bad idea, get it back, or if
it was a good idea, bounce it further ahead.

Diane