[pct-l] Neo Air

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Dec 21 14:50:28 CST 2009

>>Second, those GG pads (and, bless their hearts, those guys are awesome)
>>don't last very long.  So, $30 for each hike you do, adds up, when the $150
>>(for the regular size, which fits my whole 6'1" self) )investment for the
>>neo air is a lifetime guarantee.

>>So, if you don't care about cushion during your slumber, but care most about
>>weight, than yes, undoubtedly foam would be the way to go.  But, I don't
>>think the price should be a turn off when people use 2-3 ridge rests over
>>the course of the PCT at 3-40 $ each.

Well I paid $12/each for my 3.5oz GG Torso pads since they were seconds (ie. cosmetic
defects but fully functional) so I only spent $36 for my entire hike and I'm still
using the 3rd one on trips.  So the price wasn't a turnoff.  And I found them more comfortable
then my late 90's era full length inflatible Thermarests.  And definitely more comfortable
then the foam RidgeRest.

Choosing one piece of gear can impact other gear choices and you can get a domino
effect on the weight.  As an example, the choice of a tent with a large footprint rather
then a small tarp forces one to have to pick larger campsites that are often as hard as concrete
from 20years of constant use and thus forcing the need for a thicker pad.

-Sean "Miner" Nordeen