[pct-l] Base Pack weight

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Mon Dec 21 16:37:51 CST 2009

I agree with the Comfort Weight category if it means that the weight adds to your enjoyment hiking and camping. I've noticed a lot of people seemingly getting used to being miserable on the trial not because they are carrying too much but not the right things for how they enjoy life. Note I did not say they need to carry more weight, although it might end up that way.

<<rant on>>
I also have noticed hikers committing to uber-light gear lists when they are either too inexperienced or lack confidence (or both) in wilderness endeavors. Some seem to be quick learners and become the latest evangelists for uber-light loads while others are not so lucky. But I do not think uber-light is for everyone.
<<rant off>>

So ideally for me it's taking only what I need to enjoy both my hike and the camp, proportionally of course since most of the time is spent hiking. But taking into consideration that if you don't sleep much at night you're not enjoying the hiking much. I do not pack anything out of fear having learned long ago that wilderness skill/experience and backwoods ingenuity can get you where you need to go safely without relying on much gear. And yes, my base weight is 15 or lower.

Bigtoe