[pct-l] How important is it to have a freestanding tent?

Christopher Swope sswwooppee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 08:59:27 CST 2009

Hi everyone!

I'm looking at buying a new lightweight tent for my big hike next year. I've
managed to narrow it down to 2 tents for various reasons. The TarpTent
Moment, and the SMD Lunar Solo Enhanced.

They both look like good designs that would serve me well. The Moment can be
set up as a freestanding shelter, which seems like a nice feature, but how
important is that on the PCT? How often have you more experienced PCT types
come across the situation where it was really hard to stake out a tent, for
whatever reason?

Thanks,

Swope