[pct-l] How important is it to have a freestanding tent?

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Tue Dec 22 11:20:56 CST 2009

I have to differ with Steve's opinion here. We have use a free standing tent
on all of our long hikes since 2002. We find that free standing tents allows
us to set up in places where you cannot drive a stake. We have used
driveways, bridges, concrete pads, and large flat rocks to camp on.

The problem Steve notes isn't a problem for us because when we stop we erect
the tent and climb into it. We're there for the night. If you are going to
leave your tent, stake it down. By the way I saw lots of "staked down" tents
rolling through a windy meadow at Philmont Scout Camp. ;)

Ken
www GottaWalk com