[pct-l] Free standing tent

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 11:54:36 CST 2009

Never underestimate the importance of a good night's sleep.

It is directly proportional to the length of your hike in both distance and time, and at some point, which is different for each person, will become a critical factor in whether or not you can or will stay on the trail.

>From Mojave to Canada, and even in the Sierra, I never had a campsite where I could not adequately erect my non-free-standing Gatewood Cape or Lunar Solo. Where stakes wouldn't hold or even penetrate (slab granite at Guitar Lake), rocks did the job. Even there, by moving my site another three hundred yards or so, I could reach grassy areas where stakes (or a combination of stakes and rocks) could be used. If all else fails, cowboy camp it.

I will guarentee you that at places like Guitar Lake, even staked shelters in the grassy areas had rocks piled on top of the stakes. Sierra winds can get fierce and stay that way. Any unanchored shelter will , as mentioned in another reply, quickly achieve low earth orbit, taking your gear with it. At Guitar Lake, your unanchored shelter could easily summit Mt Whitney before you do.