[pct-l] Base Pack Weight

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 23 07:17:07 CST 2009

Diogenes of Sinope lived in Greece in the fourth century BC.  He lived by
the precept that personal happiness is satisfied by meeting one's natural
needs. His life, therefore, was lived with extreme simplicity. His
determination to follow his own dictates and not adhere to the conventions
of society earned him the name "Diogenes the cynic".  For example, seeing a
child drinking from his hands, Diogenes threw away his cup and remarked, "A
child has beaten me in plainness of living."

Alexander the Great, then the most powerful person in the known world, went
to meet Diogenes because he was impressed that the philosopher was so highly
admired despite having neither money nor power. Alexander, was thrilled to
meet the famous philosopher while he was relaxing in the morning sunlight,
and asked if there was any favor he might do for him. Diogenes replied,
"Yes: Stand out of my sunlight".

Steel-Eye