[pct-l] Resupply strategies

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Wed Dec 23 16:42:23 CST 2009

> I really like the suggestion of buying food in large resupply towns and
then
mailing a series of resupplies forward to the smaller stops.
> Does anyone see a problem with this? If so, what was your strategy?

Hi James

It's great in theory, but my experience was that in reality it's a chore
that can gobble up a whole lot of what would otherwise be a relaxing zero
day.  The larger resupply towns may have a big grocery store, but there's no
guarantee it's anywhere close to the post office.  Doing a resupply for the
stretch ahead can take enough time, checking out what's available at the
store, buying, repackaging, etc.  Double that for two stretches and then add
more time for getting to the PO, packaging, line-ups, etc, all in a town
where you don't have a car and there may not be frequent or any transit, I
just found these things took a lot of time and sometimes left me feeling
like I'd taken a zero without actually getting a zero, if you know what I
mean.

Of course, I tend to take a long time to make decisions in general - other
people who care less about what's in their food bag might breeze through the
grocery store, throw a bunch of food in their cart and for better or worse
that's what they're going to eat.

Having a large bounce box that you intend to take some food out of and then
forward is also a hassle, or was for me anyway. After my last hike I
resolved to visit the post office as little as possible and just eat
whatever I can find along the way, even if it means resupplying at a gas
station, just to have as much freedom and as few chores as possible.  Of
course, there are places where that's not even an option, so hassle or not,
forwarding a box may be the only choice other than having a package sent
from home.

I've pulled a full 180 for this next hike though and am starting to plan for
resupply packages ahead of the hike.  I've found a whole lot of high quality
foods that I know I can't get in pretty much any of the resupply towns, and
my GF is gluten intolerant, so packages is starting to make more sense.
Plus, I kind of like the idea of hitting a PO to make one pick up,
transferring to food bags and moving out - seemed like it would be limiting
before, but now that I know more or less what I do and don't like to eat on
the trail, feels like a good idea.

So, anyway, sending food from town A to town B works, my experience has just
been that it's quite time consuming.

Cheers!
P178