[pct-l] Resupply strategies

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 18:04:36 CST 2009

If you are considering sending re-supplies in advance of the hike, you can minimize the impact that Ron has identified with small-town postal hours by using alternative destinations.  There are very few towns in California that require you to send to a post office.  In 2006, I pre-staged all my resupply boxes and I recall that I only sent a resupply to 4 post office stops.  All other stops were sent to businesses.  It takes a bit more planning, but hey, planning and preparation were part of the trip for me.  I dreaded the thought of spending my town time in shopping markets and it was much nicer for me to send food in advance.

For instance:

Mt. Laguna - send it to the General Store rather than the PO

Warner Springs - send to PO

Idyllwild - send to the motel you are planning to stay at - there are two that I know accept/hold  packages

Big Bear - send to the motel - Nature's Inn accepted/held my package in 2006 as I was planning to stay there

Wrightwood - send to Mountain Hardware store

Auga Dulce - send to Donna's

Tehachappi - two motels accept packages that I am aware of

Kennedy Meadows South - send to General Store

VVR - obvious

Tuolummne Meadows - send to PO (missed this because PO was not open due to high snow when we passed through)

Kennedy Meadows North - send to General Store

Lake Tahoe - send to PO

Sierra City - send to General Store

Beldon - send to Braatens (trail angels)

Old Station - send to Heitmans (trail angels)

Burney Falls State Park - send to General Store

Castella - send to general store - store is next to PO

Etna - send to B&B

Seiad Valley - send to PO

In Oregon and Washington I did not use a single PO with the exception of Stehekin and unfortunately I arrived during the Labor Day holiday and the PO was closed for 3 days so I left it there and had them forward it home after the hike.

Some folks claim that you risk not enjoying what you are sending yourself in advance.  That is a possibility, but again with a bit of preparation and variance, you can minimize this.  For instance I found 12 different types of dyhdrated / freeze-dried meals from Mountain House and Mary Jane Farms that I enjoyed (I taste-tested about 20 different types in advance of my hike).  I bought them in bulk packaging and re-packaged into 1000 calorie meals and organized it so I did not eat the same meal more than once every 12 days.  Breakfast was also bought in bulk (granola, dried fruit bits, protein powder and milk) and pre-packaged.  This was supplemented by pop-tarts and breakfast bars.

Typically, the only re-supply I would do in town was lunch items (I preferred fresh bread and fresh lunch meats and cheese) and a 1 and 2 liter bottle of gatorade (I always tried to leave town with new bottles that became my water bottles for the next leg.

I had a different experience than many folks that have commented on-line.  I established a 5000 calorie a day menu from Day 1 and I had no problems eating all my food from Day 1.  Was it enough; apparently not.  I was 6' and 190lbs at the start and when I reached KM South, I had lost 12 lbs and in the next 20 days lost another 23 lbs through the heavy snow in the Sierra.  I stayed 35 lbs down all the way to Canada.

If you are willing to do some prep work in advance, you can minimize a number of the issues that folks have identified with this type of resupply strategy and enjoy your town stops a lot more.  This type of strategy will also allow you to take more nearos rather than zeros.  Personally, in Oregon and Washington, I had no desire to take a full zero day.  Some folks look forward to the zeros but I wasn't in that group.  I preferred the time on the trail.

You will hear a lot of advice, but only you will know what works best for you.   Best of luck,

elevator