[pct-l] Resupply strategies

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Wed Dec 23 19:42:08 CST 2009

I think Diane's last paragraph is the most appropriate....  Sure with enough flexibility everyone will be able to survive on the food that is available in the smallest of resupply stops.  Heck, I watched a half dozen hikers resupply on big bags of double stuffed oreos, cans of sardines, candy bars and bags of potato chips at the store in Beldon (Caribou).   It all depends on what you want from your hike!  Wanna survive on candy bars and what is available or do you want to do a bit more planning and prep and know that you have something waiting in a resupply.

If you are from out of state and want to minimize shipping, one thought is to come out  to San Diego a couple of days earlier than your start date and do your shopping and ship your resupply packages from San Diego for the first 400-500 miles.  Since most folks zero at the Saufleys and almost everyone heads into LA for shopping, you could resupply at that stop for the next big chunk (say through Lake Tahoe since that is a common zero day with good shopping and postal services nearby).  From Lake Tahoe you could resupply through Ashland and so on.

Elevator