[pct-l] Resupply strategies - junk vs nutrition

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Dec 24 14:30:26 CST 2009

That's my point. I really truly believed that carrying the most
nutritious food in my pack ought to help, too. But it turned out not
to be true. At least not for me, and I'm an older woman. I think that
is because there really is no such thing as nutritious dehydrated food.

Just because something comes from a grocery store in a box with a
heart symbol on it doesn't mean it's actually any better than
something that came out of a convenience store in a box that has
cartoon characters on it.

What is needed is fresh food. I did carry in my pack real peanut
butter, real chicken/tuna, real bread, real cheese, real pasta (long
cooking kind) and sometimes even real fruit and vegetables (fresh,
not dehydrated.) I also took vitamins (in the form of Emergence-C
which I actually looked forward to.) I didn't take vitamins the
previous year and I suffered. This year I did and I did 100% better.

You can bring your own dehydrated meals and I'm sure they will be
happily eaten. But they will not be equivalent to fresh food. The
real difference isn't between your own dehydrated meals and cookies
from the mini-mart. The real difference is between packaged food and
fresh food.

Diane