[pct-l] Hyponatremia and salt intake

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Sat Dec 26 20:46:08 CST 2009

>>A number of points regarding hyponatremia...
>> 1.  it's occurence and symptomology is documented in the hiking
>> population: see articles published about Grand Canyon hikers.

Ellen, et al:

Grand Canyon "hikers" seem to be one of the ultimate testing grounds for
unprepared humans. Last year in the canyon on a hot day I was talking with a
big, young ranger who was heading down to the river while we were coming up.
He told us that in the summer an average of three hikers PER DAY are carried
out of the hole on a litter. Two of the (presumably, strong, big, young)
rangers CARRY them out. And we think our packs are heavy. Ellen, you may
want to go shopping for a Grand Canyon Ranger for those cold PCT nights!!

The ranger we spoke with is also a high school soccer coach. A couple of
years ago several members of his team (unbeknownst to him), were hiking down
to Phantom Ranch and carrying out "hiker" backpacks at $200 a pop. And there
were plenty of takers. One young man was making two trips per day! After a
few weeks, the Park Superintendent got wind of this new "service" and put an
end to it.

Jim