[pct-l] meddling NPS

Julie Flaming julie.flaming at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 14:02:02 CST 2009

I hear what you all are saying. The reality of the thing is that any
business operating in a large national park is heavily regulated and under
bid (iirc, by congressional mandate, and not by any particularly anal aspect
of the NPS per se), and the NPS would have been in an ugly place
liability-wise if they'd knowingly allowed this to go on. If one of the kids
had been injured, their parents probably would have sued the NPS for more
than its annual budget and it would have been a real tragedy. And if one of
the other businesses operating legally in the park could have proved that
the kids were edging them out somehow, they could have sued. And if one of
the kids' customers had had property damaged by one of these young people
and sued, the NPS would also have been in a jam. It's easy to point fingers
at them, but I don't really see how they could knowingly allow it.

Julie