[pct-l] A star picture WOW!

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Dec 29 20:08:56 CST 2009

I agree with Starman, this is one of the most incredible photos I've ever
seen from the John Muir Trail!
Just to share a moment of mine within this photo thread, here's a nice cloud
photo I captured on film of Mt Shasta in January 1981.
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/image/90702506/original

***********
I am lucky in many ways.

One is that I am part of the hiking family and can become my alter ego of
StarMan when on the trail.

The second is that i have another family of both amateur and professional
astronomers.  I am sometimes asked if the hobby has hit it's peak or is it
boring.  Just when you least expect it an image comes along that inspires
both of my families.

Once again:    WOW!

Frank "StarMan" Gilliland

PS'  Just last year I hiked to the top of Whitney one September evening.
This was the end point of my repeat of the PCT (this time as a section hike
over several years)  I left for the final leg just above Guitar Lake at just
after 1:00AM by only the light of a full moon.  All I could think about was
that in a few short hours i would be the only person doing this at this
moment.  Their were about 6 others behind me......

The light from the full moon was casting shadows, So I sung many repeats of
"I"m Being Followed by a Moon Shadow"  The light on the rocks was a magical
as any words describing the Sierra by John Muir.

Got to the top before Sunrise.  Another Great moment!