[pct-l] dogs/pets

Swope Christopher sswwooppee at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 17:07:45 CST 2009

Gary,

You'll find the whole spectrum of people who love dogs on the trail to
those that think that they should be banned, from what I can tell.

I lean in the direction of liking dogs, personally, but I'm not
bringing my dog for two reasons:

1. It makes the hike logistically much harder since dogs are not
allowed in national parks.

2. Heat stress in desert.

There are labs that drop dead every year here in MN on pheasant opener
due to heat stress. It would likely being a big issue for you. Labs
are bred to fetch stuff in cold water not walk long distances in
desert heat.

Despite all that, people have done it, I heard. I bet a dog with you
might just help keep some critters away from your campsite.

Swope