[pct-l] Wi-Fi, bear cans, base weight

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 03:57:07 CST 2009

Like Vic, I'm catching up a bit, so a couple of comments combined:

Wi-Fi:  In addition to the list given in a recent post I would add that
there was Wi-Fi at the trailer park in Seiad Valley (I think this was free
to hikers staying there), and secured wi-fi available to residents staying
at the motel at White Pass and ditto in Stehekin.   I'm pretty sure that I
also saw signs in one or more (other) places indicating that a person could
get wi-fi by paying something at the given facility (gas station mini-mart
or whatever).  I'm thinking this might have included Old Station (?) but I'm
not sure.

However, don't count on being able to use a mobile device on any but
unsecured wi-fi.  In some of the places I tried using it, I couldn't get it
to work even after getting the password from the motel or whatever facility,
as the web interface used to enter said password didn't work on my mobile
browser.  YMMV of course.   This was the case at both White Pass and
Stehekin, though lodge residents in Stehekin also have the use of a computer
in the rec room.

I'm not aware of any definitive list of wi-fi availability (Halfmile?).
Such a thing would need to be checked with reasonable frequency, I think, to
keep it up to date.

Bear cans: there was some suggestion in some recent posts that a person
going without a bear can in the Sierras is not likely to be caught.  I think
I was only asked for my permit twice on the entire trip, but one of those
times was just prior to walking in to Tuolumne Meadows.  The ranger didn't
explicitly ask to see my bear can, but it was clearly in sight when I dug
deep to get out the permit which he did demand to see --- and he clearly
eye-balled the bear can.  Comparing notes with some other thru's that
evening, I got the impression that he was either explicitly or implicitly
checking them for bear cans too.  I wouldn't count on getting through
without being asked.
I agree with whoever suggested that a full size can is the best approach.  I
had a full-sized (not solo or weekender size) can, and I didn't do long
stretches between resupply in the Sierras, and while I didn't take heroic
measures to absolutely maximize what I got in there, I think I did a pretty
good job and started each stretch with a very full can.  To reiterate (I
think, Patti), thru-hikers need to carry a lot of food.    I wouldn't care
to estimate what a reasonable upper limit on eadible calories would be that
a person could pack in, just ... I think the rational approach is a full
size bear can, whether Garcia, BearVault, or Bearikade.

Certainly being willing to adjust your pace to stop at known bear lockers
could mitigate this some, but IMO there are already enough schedule
constraints in the Sierras that I wouldn't also like to limit myself that
way if I didn't need to (possible lightening, getting off passes before snow
is soft, general per-day distance goals, maybe sticking with a group,
etc).   My personal experience is that I didn't run in to bear lockers at
points where I happened to be close to wanting to stop for the night.

Also FWIW, I used an Ursack for much of my trip last year, but would go with
an actual (and park-legal) bear can again in the Sierras.   Internally
grumbling a bit at the weight and rigid bulk, sure, but I'd carry it.

E.A. talked about a 14.5 pound base weight, wondering if that seems
reasonable.  That's about what my base weight was for most of my trip, I was
heavier than that in the Sierras.  Certainly some go a lot lower, but I also
saw some folks that either for budget or personal approach/style or whatever
carried a whole lot more weight too.   I think that base weight is a good
thing to obsess on a little in preparation, but I agree that thru-hikers
worry about the odd ounce a good bit less after they've done a few hundred
miles.

Best of luck to all those that are getting ready now to thru-hike this year!

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle