[pct-l] electronic journaling options - IPhone questions?

Halfmile halfmile at pctmap.net
Mon Feb 2 10:49:45 CST 2009

Gary,
I am new to the iPhone, but I can answer some of your questions.

The iPhone 3G does not use a memory card, memory is only internal. You
can purchase either an 8 GB or 16 GB version of the iPhone 3G. You can
easily email photos you take with the iphone or transfer them to a
computer with a cable.

You can write email drafts with no cell phone signal.

You can see my cell phone reports (soon to be cell phone and wi-fi
reports) here:

http://www.pctmap.net/cell/index.html

-Halfmile

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:04 AM, GARY HEBERT <hikerfedex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy Rowdy!
> Bought a camera since AT. 8+ ounces, 10 in rugged case. But pics are worth
> it.  (My AT cell phone pics are ok, but no zoom, no wide angle, etc.)
> Unfortunately thats plus phone+ Ipod (which I also did not carry).
>
> I'm laughing cuz I've added stuff yet somehow plan to travel much lighter!
>
> You could have the right idea though. Switch phones and at least combine
> phone, ipod, journal (internet or just email to somebody), upload some
> selected pics from camera.
>
> Does iphone G3 use memory card? or all internal. (I want to transfer pics
> from camera &  email or post to internet)
>
> With the Iphone if you dont have a signal could you type several emails
> (daily journals) on trail, save as drafts & send when you have signal in
> town?
>

> mine was 2 part question. lightweight device/system plus easy/quick in town
> part.
>
> I wonder how good ATT coverage is along the PCT (in town)? (if good, all
> set; if not, screwed)

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Billy Simpson <billys100 at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I-phone 3g
>>
>> I got mine yesterday and am on it now.
>>
>> It does it all.  Camera, journal , phone,
>> Internt, iPod.
>>
>> Weight, 7 oz with solar charger
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> On Feb 2, 2009, at 8:38 AM, GARY HEBERT <hikerfedex at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  any other thoughts on electronic journaling including pics?
>>> On my AT thru I hadn't planned on it but started one on trailjournals.com.
>>> loved the final product (though kinda limited for uploading pics
>>> efficiently
>>> etc).
>>>
>>> What I liked least is that it became a time consuming hassle during
>>> townstops. I imagine this would be worse on the PCT as there are less
>>> towns.
>>> This is what I'd like to avoid. Don't mind quickly uploading a batch of
>>> pics
>>> if it's easy, but I wanna relax and chill in town not spend 2 hours on the