[pct-l] Thru-hiking on a budget

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Feb 2 15:48:38 CST 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Vic Hanson wrote:
> We also hiked in on an alternate trail that brought us past the dam,
> and then walked the "normal' route back to the PCT, not using the
> ferry. I don't remember the name of the alternate route but it was a
> poor unmaintained trail, the walk back out was fine. When I do it
> again, I think I will skip VVR and go out at Red's Meadows to
> Mammoth to resupply.

Bear Ridge?  I hiked that trail down to the dam in 2007 and it wasn't
as well maintained as the PCT but I didn't have any trouble at all.
Once you go across the dam you have to know to keep heading along the
shore via some short trails and road until you get to VVR.  This is
shorter route than staying on the PCT to Mono Creek and then hiking
the 4-5 miles along the lake to VVR.

Gary Wright (Radar)