[pct-l] Evolution Creek Video

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Mon Feb 2 16:31:06 CST 2009

Gary Wright wrote:
> You should also undo your sternum strap and loosen your shoulder
> straps a bit but not enough that your pack load shifts easily.  Wear your shoes.
> #########

We did this when we hiked the Zion Narrows in Utah last summer.
Guessing that there is less than 200 yards on the entire trip that
required swimming and we found 100 of them.  Not part of the plan.

For us the deal was almost a dog paddle AGAINST the water and the pack
and that kept our heads up as we floated down to a place where our feet
were again of use.  The drop-off was fast and my son panicked just a bit
until we figured out what to do.  Talking about it in advance provided a
bit of help but the shock of swimming in your backpack with zero chance
of rescue was a bit intimidating.

Next time it will be almost routine.  Truly something that should be
practiced if possible.   I am going to try to get a friends to let the
troop use his pool for practice this summer.

Mark "Blankie" Liechty
mlaccs at mlaccs.com