[pct-l] Burying food, digging holes

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 18:20:20 CST 2009

I can't believe that digging a small hole to bury food would be illegal. Gosh, we all dig catholes! The challenge is to locate soils that you can dig into deep enough. Deep enough is 8". Sometimes I have had to look pretty hard for a place where there is decaying organic material. Tell me how digging a cathole is different from the hole that Brad would dig. His food would be in an odor-proof bag and could also be in pre-sealed factory packaging - think energy bars, etc. I would add one of my "bear charms" on top of the food prior to filling the hole. Brad, after recovering your food refill the hole and camuoflage just as you should with your cathole. I can't imagine any Ranger giving you a ticket for properly digging a cathole - - -but, you should get one if you don't!
From: MendoRider/Ed Anderson