[pct-l] creek crossing - an unusual approach that worked

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 18:54:48 CST 2009

I once had to cross a very swift Sierra creek. It was nearly 20' wide and knee deep. The current would have swept skinny me off my feet. I removed my pants and put my shoes back on. Removing the pants reduced resistance. I also unsnapped my pack belt and moved the schoulder straps outward so I could easily remove the pack if I had to. Then I picked up about a 60 pound boulder. My 140 pounds, my 45 pound pack plus the boulder made me about 245 pounds. With my feet wide apart I was now heavy enough to cross without being swept away.
From: MendoRider/Ed Anderson